- Like Russell T. Davies, got his start in TV in children’s programming; in the early 90s John hosted a Saturday morning variety show called Live and Kicking
- Born in Glasgow, but emigrated to the U.S. with his family when he was 8. He adopted an American accent after being teased by students at his elementary school in Joliet, Illinois.
- Went to high school with Andy Dick (NewsRadio) and performed alongside him in a production of Oliver in 1983
- Auditioned for the role of the 9th Doctor, and recovered a Dalek from the set of The Parting Of The Ways which now resides in his home.
- Was one of the final 3 choices for the role of Will in Will and Grace. Was reportedly turned down because he was “not gay enough”. Ironically, the role went to a straight actor (Eric McCormack)
- Appeared as an extra in The Untouchables – the scene in the Police Academy when Andy Garcia is recruited by Sean Connery.